Dual citizens and eTA Canada

All you need to know

The ETA system would soon be fully implemented and those who were meant to apply but failed before the deadline would be restricted from flying into Canada. This system was designed for the non-exempt foreign nationals who didn’t require a visa to get into the country.

One big question asked by individuals holding dual Citizenship of both Canada and a visa exempt country is if they need to apply for an eTA. The answer to this is No. According to the CIC, dual citizens who hold Canadian Citizenship are not required to apply for eTA as the system was designed to scrutinize and screen foreigners seeking entry into the country.

As long as you are in possession of any document that proves your citizenship, you are by right entitled to fly into the country.

The documents that can be presented to prove citizenship includes,

  • Canadian valid passport
  • A Canadian temporary passport and emergency travel documents which are only given out under special conditions and situations .

Keep in mind that a “valid” Canadian passport is the only legal document accepted as a proof of an individual citizenship in Canada. Without a valid passport, you would be screened upon entry and might be denied access. Presenting your birth certificate without a valid passport doesn’t guarantee you access into the country.

Applying for a Canada passport

If you are a Canadian citizen up to the age of 16, here is how to apply for a passport.

  • Fill out the application form available.
  • Provide documents that serves as proof of your citizenship . The documents could be either a birth certificate, certificate of naturalization, or certificate of citizenship
  • Attach passport photographs with your name written at the back along with the photographers name and the date.
  • Provide a guarantor and two references to sign and include in your application.
  • Submit your application and pay the due processing fee which is non-refundable.
  • Await your new passport.

Conditions for Renewing your expired passport.

If your passport has expired and you seek to apply for a new one. Keep in mind that your present passport must

  • Not have been damaged or worn out beyond recognition.
  • Must have been issued to you when you were 16 years of age.
  • Must bear corresponding names with what is supposed to appear in the new one.
  • Must have been issued with a validity of 10 years maximum or 5 years minimum
  • Not have expired for longer than 1 year.

No Comments Yet.

Leave a comment